By detaching a placed article, you break the link that exists between the frames on the layout and the file that is stored in Studio Server.
This means that:
- The content of the frames can be edited without first having to check-out the article
- When the content of the article in Studio Server changes, the content in the frames on the layout does not change
Use this method when you want to continue working on the article but do not want the file in Studio Server to be affected by these changes.
It is possible to detach the full article or to detach selected article components.
Step 1. Select the article or one of its components by:
- Selecting one of the frames of the article on the layout
- Selecting the article or article component(s) in the Elements panel
Step 2. Use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Detaching the full article:
- Choose WoodWing Studio > Detach Article.
- From the flyout menu of the Elements panel, choose Detach Article.
- Right-click a component in the Elements panel and choose Detach Article from the context menu.
- Right-click the frame and choose Detach Article.
Method 2: Detaching one or more components only:
- Choose WoodWing Studio > Detach Component.
- From the flyout menu of the Elements panel, choose Detach Component.
- Right-click a component in the Elements panel and choose Detach Component from the context menu.
- In the Elements panel, drag the article component into the Unassigned Elements pane. (For more information, see Using the Elements panel of Studio for InDesign.
A message appears:
Are you sure you want to detach the article?
Step 3. Click Yes.
When trying to detach an article component, the Detach Component command is not available (grayed out) or dragging it in the Elements panel is not possible
This happens when the component that you are trying to detach is the only component of the article. Articles need to consist of at least one component so detaching the component of a single-component article is not allowed.
Detaching all placed articles in one action
For quickly detaching all placed articles from a layout in one single action, use the following script that we have provided: detach-all-placed-articles.zip.
Note: For information about how to install a script for InDesign, see InDesign Secrets: How to install scripts in InDesign.