Planned Adverts are initially created in a planning system where their location within the publication is determined: the position on the page that they are placed on and the dimensions (width and height) of the frame.
When subsequently opening the layout in InDesign, a user can move the frame to another position on the page or change the dimensions of the frame. As a result, a discrepancy exists with the settings of the Advert in the planning system and those on the layout in InDesign.
How this mismatch in geometry between the planning system and the layout is handled depends on the version of Studio for InDesign that is used, and optionally the way the system is configured.
The default behavior of how the system treats a mismatch between the geometry of the advert in the planning system and the position on the layout in InDesign depends on the version of Studio for InDesign that is used.
- For version 17.0.2 for Adobe 2022 or any higher version:
- The geometry changes made in InDesign are honored as long as the geometry settings in the planning system are not changed. When the geometry is changed in the planning system, the geometry of the Advert is restored when the layout is checked in and will become visible the next time the layout is opened.
- For all lower versions, including for Adobe 2021, 2020, and so on:
- If the planned position is on the same page as the placed position, then the geometry in InDesign is leading. If the page is changed in the planning system, then the position and size from the planning system is honored.
In Studio for InDesign version 17.0.0 and 17.0.1 for Adobe 2022 as well as all lower versions for Adobe 2021, 2020 and so on, the geometry settings of the advert in the planning system are only honored when the advert is moved to a different page. Some workflows require that the geometry settings of the planning system is always leading. This can be made possible through the following configuration setting:
Note: For Studio for InDesign 17.0.2 for Adobe 2022 or higher, this setting is supported but not really needed because the default behavior should cover all use cases.
To make sure that the settings of the Planning System are leading and that each change that is made to the Advert in InDesign is reverted, enable the following setting:
- File: WWSettings.xml file
- Name of option: RespectPlannedAdvertGeometry
- Location: anywhere between the
- When the option is enabled, the location and dimension of the Advert as defined by the Planning System is always honored. Geometry changes that are made by the user are not accepted. If changes are made, the last planned geometry of the Advert is restored when the layout is checked in and will become visible the next time the layout is opened.
- When the option is not enabled, the user is allowed to change the location and dimension of the Advert.
Important: Make sure to validate the WWSettings.xml file for correct content. See Validating the WWSettings.xml file.
- Moving the Advert to another page is never accepted for version 17.0.0 and 17.0.1 for Adobe 2022 as well as all lower versions for Adobe 2021, 2020 and so on (regardless of how the Respect Planned Advert Geometry option is set).
- Moving the image inside the Advert page item (the frame) is always accepted (regardless of how the Respect Planned Advert Geometry option is set).
- An environment can exist where for one user the feature is enabled while for another it is disabled. When the user for whom the feature is enabled opens a layout, any planned adverts that were repositioned are reset. This behavior is as designed. However, a situation in which 2 (InDesign) users will have different settings should normally not be supported.