It is important that any file that you want to include in a published story or want to store as a reference, is uploaded to Studio Server. This makes sure that the file is available when it needs to be published (such as an image that needs to be published to a Web page), and that other users can also make use of that file (even in a different story).
Supported file formats
All popular file types can be uploaded: from documents, images and videos, to presentations, spreadsheets, ZIP files and many more.
Should a file not be supported yet, its format can be added by configuring Studio Server.
Uploading files can be done in the following ways:
- Directly in a Dossier
- In a Digital article via an article component or the Attachments panel
Directly in a Dossier
The most common way of uploading files is to upload them directly to a Dossier that is used for gathering all the files for the story that is being worked on.
Step 1. In an opened Dossier, do one of the following:
- Locate the files on your local drive, network, or in Assets and drop them anywhere in the Dossier.
- Click the Upload button and select your files.
After adding the files, the Uploading Files dialog appears. Each file is automatically uploaded to Studio Server and the upload progress is shown for each file while at the bottom of the window the overall progress can be followed.
Figure: Uploading files using the Upload files dialog.
When uploading files of different formats, files of the same type are grouped together (such as all images, all layouts, all spreadsheets, and so on).
Step 2. (Optional) Change the settings for each file by:
- Assigning a user or user group (done per group of files).
- Assigning a different Workflow Status (done per group of files).
- Selecting a single file or multiple files and changing the properties on the right side of the dialog.
- Removing a file from the upload process by selecting it and clicking the X-icon.
Step 3. Click Finish.
In a Digital article
These images can be uploaded in the following ways:
- By dropping them from your local drive onto the component.
- By dropping them onto the Attachments panel of the Digital editor, or by using the Browse button of that panel.
Note: After uploading, the images are added to the same Dossier as the Dossier in which the Digital article is placed.
Info: In Studio 11.114 and higher, uploading files through the Digital editor can be disabled by the system administrator.
- 30 March 2022: Updated section 'In a Digital article' with information about Studio 11.114.
- 16 March 2022: Made it clear that files can also be uploaded through the Digital editor.