In order to successfully publish a publication to Adobe DPS, the created files need to be available in a particular structure of the Enterprise system, meaning that each story should be in its own Dossier.
Furthermore, certain files that are part of the story may require to be present in each Dossier (for example: images that are used in a Slide Shows), while the availability of other files is optional (layouts in portrait orientation).
In addition, regular stories are created by layouts with one or more pages, whereas a table of contents will typically be a layout consisting of just one (long) page.
To ease the workflow of the designers using InDesign, we recommend therefore to make Dossier templates available so that each new issue of the magazine can be quickly set up. As a minimum, we recommend to create the following Dossier templates:
- Cover. The cover of a magazine is the first page that a reader sees and should entice the reader to start browsing the magazine. The cover page therefore will typically need to have a fully styled page in portrait orientation and a fully styled page in landscape orientation.
Action: create a Dossier template containing both files with regularly used content (such as the magazine title) already placed.
- Table of Contents. The table of contents will normally be displayed as a list that can be scrolled through continuously, as opposed to regular stories of a magazine of which each page will automatically adjust to fit the screen of the device.
Action: create a Dossier template containing a single-page layout, with regularly used content or place holders already in position.
- Stories. Regardless of the layout, each story will typically be displayed in such a way that when a user flicks to the next or previous page, the page automatically jumps to fit the screen. This is achieved by creating multiple pages for the layout, each in the exact screen size of the device it is read on. To make sure that the story is displayed on a fully designed page, a separate layout in portrait orientation needs to be created. This type of story is typically used when the story contains more images than text.
Action: create a Dossier containing two layouts: one in landscape orientation and one in portrait orientation, with the page size matching the screen size of the digital device.
- Pages that follow the title page will possibly be all designed the same way. Create a master page for such pages so that new pages can be quickly created.
- If the page design differs per section (such as Finance, Sports, Media), create a separate Dossier for each of those sections.
For more information about setting up a DPS workflow, including the use of templates, see Setting up Devices, Templates and Artboards for Adobe DPS.