Creating a Publication Channel for Adobe DPS in Enterprise Server 9
This article describes how to set up a Publication Channel in Enterprise Server 9 for outputting content to digital devices — such as tablets or mobile phones — by using the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (also known as Adobe DPS).
Step 1. Access the Brand Maintenance page.
In the Maintenance menu or on the Home page, click Brands.
Step 2. Locate the Publication Channel options.
Step 3. Click Add.
The Publication Channel Maintenance page appears.
Step 4. In the Name field, enter a name.
Step 5. In the Description field, enter a description.
Step 6. From the Publication Channel Type list, choose DPS.
Step 7. From the Publish System list, choose Adobe DPS.
Step 8. Leave the Suggestion Provider option set to None.
Step 9. Click Create.
New items appear on the page:
- An additional property named 'Current Issue' appears below the Publication Channel Type property. Since Issues still need to be set up, we will come back to setting this option later in the process.
- Below the Publication Channel properties area, sections for adding Editions and Issues appear. We will add these now.
Figure: After clicking Create, additional options appear.
In Enterprise, Editions represent the device that is published to, such as an iPad, a Galaxy, a Playbook, and so on. An Edition should therefore be created for each output device.
Step 10. Click Add Edition.
The Edition Maintenance page appears.
Step 11. Enter a name in the Name box.
Step 12. (Optional) Enter a description in the Description box.
Step 13. Click Update.
The Publication Channel Maintenance page appears with the newly created Edition added to the Editions menu.
Step 14. (Optional) Add additional Editions as required.
Step 15. In the Order box on the Publication Channel Maintenance page, enter an order number for each Edition and click Reorder. This will determine in which order the Editions are displayed in the client application interfaces.
If for a layout only the Galaxy and Playbook Editions have been assigned, then the Galaxy is considered as the primary device, even though the iPad Edition precedes it in the configuration.
Step 16. On the Publication Channel Maintenance page, click Add Issue.
The Issue Maintenance page appears.
Step 17. Fill out the details.
Note: At the most basic level, only a name needs to be entered; all other options can also be set at a later stage by modifying the created Issue.
- Name. Name of the Issue.
- Publication Date. Date (and time, if required) when the Issue needs to be published by.
- Deadline. Date (and time, if required) when the Issue needs to be finished by.
Tip: Instead of entering a date, enter the number of days, hours, and/or minutes before the publication date should be reached and click the Recalculate icon. This will automatically calculate the Deadline based on the entered Publication Date.
- Expected Pages. Number of expected pages.
- Subject. This feature is currently not functional.
- Description. The description of the issue; appears in the Library of the Content Viewer.
- Publication title. The title that will appear at the top of each issue in the Library and in the top Navigation bar of the Content Viewer.
Tip: For best results, use no more than 35 characters.
- DPS Cover Date. The cover date of the publication.
- DPS Product ID. The unique ID of the product.
Tip: For best results, use the com.publisher.publication.issue format (such as com.adobepress.dps_tips.july) to specify the Product ID.
- Page orientation. Defines which page orientation is to be used in the Content Viewer:
- Landscape only
- Portrait only
- Landscape and portrait.
Note: The Content Viewer uses this setting to show the issue in the set orientation; this allows having issues with different orientation settings within the same Reader App.
- Page navigation. Defines how the pages are navigated:
- Horizontal: all pages of all stories are placed next to each other.
- Horizontal and vertical: stories are placed next to each other while their pages are placed above each other.
- Reading direction. Specifies if the reading direction should be left-to-right or right-to-left.
- Volume number. The volume number of the publication. Appears in the Navigation top bar of the Adobe Content Viewer.
- DPS Filter. For assigning a filter value to an Issue. This allows users of the Adobe Content Viewer to filter the issues by this value in the Store and Library (such as by language or product.)
- DPS Target Viewer Version. For setting the minimum version of the Content Viewer that the user needs to have installed in order to view the issue. Set to blank if no minimum installed version should be forced.
- Active. Use to deactivate the Issue. This will hide the Issue and all objects assigned to the Issue from the users without actually removing the Issue from the system.
- Overrule Brand. Use to determine if the new Issue should have its own Categories, Workflow, and User Authorization definitions. After selecting this option, click the Update button to display the options for setting the Categories, Workflow, and Authorizations for this Issue.
Note: When using this option, make sure to enable Overruled Issues in Content Station.
- Reading Direction. Only available when Overrule Brand is active (and after clicking Update). Determines whether the pages in the Issue are displayed left to right or right to left (reversed) when viewed in the Publication Overview of Content Station.
- Activate Relative Deadlines. (Since Enterprise 9.2) Only available when Overrule Brand is active (and after clicking Update). Activates the functionality for assigning deadlines to Categories and Workflow Statuses. When selected, the 'Time Settings' icon and 'Deadlines' icon appear.
- Time Settings. Only available when Overrule Brand is active (and after clicking Update), and (since Enterprise 9.2) after clicking 'Activate Relative Deadlines'. Displays the Relative Deadline page.
- Deadlines. (Since Enterprise 9.2 this option only appears when 'Activate Relative Deadlines' is selected on the Brand Maintenance page.) Displays the Issue Deadlines page.
- Time Settings. Only available when Overrule Brand is active (and after clicking Update). Displays the Relative Deadline page.
- Deadlines. Displays the Issue Deadlines page.
Step 18. Click Update.
Finishing the setup
Step 19. Click the arrow at the bottom of the page to return to the Publication Channel Maintenance page.
Step 20. Click the arrow at the bottom of the page to return to the Brand Maintenance page.
Step 21. (Optional) Add additional Publication Channels as needed.
Step 22. (Optional, only if multiple Publication Channels have been created) From the Default Publication Channel list at the top of the Brand Maintenance page, choose the default Publication Channel that should act as the default DPS channel.
Note: In order for this feature to work properly, it is imperative that an order sequence for the created Issues is correctly specified on the Publication Channel Maintenance page. If this is not done (or not done correctly), Enterprise may not be able to properly determine the Previous and Next issues.
Figure: The Default Publication Channel list.