The About WoodWing dialog is used for displaying information about the version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy that is installed and also contains tools for activating or transferring a license.
The About WoodWing dialog.
The dialog is displayed by doing one of the following:
- macOS: Choose InDesign > About WoodWing Plug-ins or InCopy > About WoodWing Plug-ins
- Windows: Choose Help > About WoodWing Plug-ins
In certain circumstances, the dialog does not appear.
Note: This applies to all versions of Studio for InDesign and InCopy, except the following:
For these versions, the functionality of the dialog is based on a different technology; the issue should not occur and the instructions in this article do not apply.
When the About WoodWing dialog cannot be shown, the following cannot be done:
- Verifying which version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy is installed
- Activating or transferring the license
The About WoodWing dialog is implemented using an Adobe extension named WoodWingUI_<Adobe Version>.zxp and requires a certificate.
Issues for the dialog not appearing are related to the installed certificate for this extension or with the tool that installs this extension (the ExManCmd file).
Various solutions exist. Some solutions only work for a specific version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy, and not every solution may work on your system. Try the following solutions in order.
Solution 1 - Install the most recent version
In Studio for InDesign and InCopy version 15.1.2 build 41 an issue was fixed relating to the About WoodWing dialognot appearing because of an issue with the installation certificate for the Adobe extension (as provided in the WoodWingUI ZXP file).
Do the following:
Step 1. Remove the currently installed WoodWingUI ZXP file by uninstalling Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
Step 2. Download and install the most recent version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
Solution 2 - Follow the Adobe troubleshooting steps
Verify that the extensions and add-ons for the Adobe Creative Cloud Apps are working correctly by following the steps in this Adobe article:
Solution 3 - Remove and reinstall the ExManCmd tool
Info: This solution can be used for Studio for InDesign and InCopy 15.1.1 or any higher version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy 15.
To make sure that the latest version of the ExManCmd tool is installed on your system, uninstall the current version and reinstall it by running the installer Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
Step 1. Remove the ExMan.db database from the system:
- macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Configuration/DB
- Windows: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Extension Manager CC\Configuration\DB
Note: The ProgramData folder on Windows is hidden by default. You may have to change your settings to view it.
Step 2. Run the installer for Studio for InDesign and InCopy to reinstall the plug-ins.
Solution 4 - Use a script to activate or transfer a license
Should it still not be possible to display the About WoodWing dialog and you need to activate or transfer a license, a script can be used for performing these steps.
Note: This script can only be used for transferring a license to the same version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
Contact WoodWing Support via email@example.com to request this script. Please include the version of InDesign or InCopy (CC 2020, and so on) in which Studio for InDesign and InCopy is installed.
Solution 5 - Advanced steps
Note: Only use this step when you are comfortable running commands from the command line on your system.
The Studio for InDesign and InCopy installer places the ExManCmd tool on your system in the WoodWingUI ZXP folder in the application folder of InDesign or InCopy.
Instead of running the installer again, it can be helpful to run the ExManCmd tool from the command line when troubleshooting.
The following commands might be useful:
- Show all commands:
- macOS: ./ExManCmd/macOS/ExManCmd --help
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /help
- Lists all extensions that are currently on the system for all Adobe products.
- macOS: ./ExManCmd/macOS/ExManCmd --list all
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /list all
Note: In Studio for InDesign and InCopy 15.1.1 or any higher version of Studio for InDesign and InCopy 15, this also rebuilds the ExMan.db database if it is not present.
- Install the extension for the About WoodWing dialog:
- macOS:./ExManCmd/macOS/ExManCmd --install WoodWingUI_CC2020_v15.zxp
- Windows: Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /install WoodWingUI_CC2020_v15.zxp
Note: Replace 'WoodWingUI_CC2020_v15' with your version of Adobe CC and Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
- Remove the extension for the About WoodWing dialog:
- macOS: /ExManCmd/macOS/ExManCmd --remove WoodWingUICC2020
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /remove WoodWingUICC2020
Note: Replace 'WoodWingUICC2020' with your version of Adobe CC and Studio for InDesign and InCopy.
- 19 July 2021: Updated the introduction with a reference to Studio for InDesign and InCopy 15.2.1.
- 22 June 2021: Updated the introduction with a note about Studio for InDesign and InCopy 16.3.0.