When Assets for InDesign is installed in InDesign, files that are stored in Assets Server can be opened for editing from within InDesign in the same way as any other placed file. Any changes that are made to the file are automatically saved back to Assets Server.
Step 1. Open the file in your favorite editor by doing one of the following:
- Select one or more files on the layout or in the Links panel that are stored in Assets Server and do any of the following:
- Choose Edit > Edit Original
- In the Links panel, click the Edit Original button
- Alt+double-click the file with the Selection tool
- Select a file and choose Edit > Edit With.
During this process, the files are checked-out in Assets Server: no other users can modify them.
Step 2. Make your change, save and close the files.
Step 3. Return to InDesign.
Assets for InDesign instructs Assets Server to check-in the files (or, when no changes have been made to the file, to cancel the check-out): other users can now modify the files again.
The changes made to the files are visible in Assets and on the layout in InDesign.