An article typically goes through many changes made by multiple people. It can be practical (and even important) to verify which changes were made, when they were made and by whom they were made as work on the article progresses or even after the article has been published. If needed, a previous version of the article can be restored again.
How to compare and restore Digital articles is described on this page.
How it works
One version of a Digital article is compared with the version before it. If needed, a previous version of the article can also be restored.
When comparing articles, the following changes are shown:
- For components that contain text: Text that has been removed is shown on a red background with strike-through text; text that has been added is shown on a green background.
- For components that do not contain text (such as image, interactive, social, and video components): changes to the content of the component cannot be shown; only shown is if the component itself has been added or removed.
Figure: Comparing versions of a Digital article.
Step 1. Open a Digital article for which you want to see the changes that have been made.
Step 2. On the right side of the screen, click the icon for opening the History panel (see image above).
All versions of the article are shown.
Note: While the History panel is open you can edit the current version of the article but any older versions cannot be edited.
Step 3. (Optional) Use the Filter at the top of the panel to group the results by Workflow Status and/or User name.
Tip: This can be useful in a review process when you want to see the changes that have been made by a particular user or see the changes based on a particular Workflow status of the article. You can then group these changes to quickly see what has changed.
Step 4. At the top of the panel, select the Compare versions option.
The following takes place:
- The article is placed into read-only mode, meaning that it cannot be edited.
- The version that is currently selected in the panel is compared with the version before it (when available) and any changes are shown on the main screen.
Step 5. (Optional) Do one of the following:
- Compare a version with the previous version. Select any version in the panel. The previous version is automatically selected (when available).
- Compare a version with any other version. (Requires Studio 11.93 or higher) Select any version in the panel and Cmd+click (macOS) or Ctrl+click (Windows) any other version.
Step 6. When done, clear the Compare versions option to bring the article back into edit mode.
In case a previous version of a file should be restored as the current version, open the menu for a version in the History panel and choose Restore.
- 9 June 2021: Updated step 5 in section 'Comparing articles' with information about Studio 11.93.