An event mechanism is built into Studio Server, Studio, and Studio for InDesign and InCopy that provides the following functionality:
- User Messages. InDesign and InCopy users can send messages to each other.
- Live Update. When a property of a file is changed, this is automatically shown in the various panels of the client applications.
- Custom Event Handling
Events are sent by the server through broadcast or multicast messages and received by Studio, or Studio for InDesign and InCopy. Sent packages are limited to 1024 bytes, which amounts to 45 item properties on average use.
As an alternative to broadcasting or multicasting, RabbitMQ can be used.
Scenarios in which events might not be received
Events are not considered to arrive client-side 100% guaranteed. Therefore, events are not required for clients to work correctly. There are some scenarios in which events might not be received:
- The user is not logged in
- The system File dialog box (such as the File > Save As dialog box) lays on top while the operating system’s message queue is full
- The client machine is disconnected from the network
The following options for configuring messages and events can be set:
- 8 March 2021: Added a note about dropped support for broadcasting and multicasting in Studio for InDesign and InCopy 16.0.0 for Adobe 2021.