Swivle for InDesign connects Adobe InDesign or InDesign Server to Swivle. With Swivle for InDesign installed, the following can be done:
- Placing files from Swivle onto a layout. A direct link to the file in Swivle is then made: when the file is updated in Swivle, the file that is placed on the layout is updated too.
- Opening layouts directly from Swivle in InDesign for editing.
- Opening placed images from the layout for editing and saving them back to Swivle as a different file type.
This article explains how to install Swivle for InDesign on a system on which it is not yet installed, and how to update an existing installation of Swivle for InDesign.
Using Swivle for InDesign requires a Content Manager license.
The following versions of InDesign are supported:
- Adobe 2024
- Adobe 2023
- Adobe 2022
- Adobe 2021
The following versions of Swivle for InDesign can be used on Apple M1 hardware:
- Version 220.127.116.117 or higher
Before you start
Should you have the 'Elvis InDesign plug-in' (version 3.2.x) installed (the predecessor of Swivle for InDesign), uninstall this before or after installing the Swivle InDesign plug-in.
Step 1. Download the installer for Swivle for InDesign.
Step 2. Open the downloaded file, double-click the installer and follow the instructions on screen.
Updating the InDesign plug-in
Once the InDesign plug-in is installed, you will be notified when a new version is available for download.
Do one of the following:
- Click Not Now to dismiss the message. It will appear the next time you log in to Swivle or when next starting InDesign.
- Click Skip Version to dismiss the message. It will not appear until a next new version is available.
- Click Download to access this download page. Download the installer from above, run it and follow the instructions on screen.
Note: If your currently installed version is older than 18.104.22.1684, you will need to upgrade to 22.214.171.1244 or newer be able to log in.
Components added to InDesign
After installation, the following components will have been added to InDesign:
- A 'Swivle' entry to the main menu. It contains options for connecting to and updating content in Swivle as well as a Help option for accessing the documentation on WoodWing Help Center.
- Swivle preferences in the Preferences dialog. It contains options for controlling various features of Swivle for InDesign. For details, see Preferences for Swivle for InDesign .
- WoodWing preferences in the Preferences dialog. It contains options for controlling general WoodWing features. For details, see Troubleshooting Swivle for InDesign.
- Options to the Links panel. The following entries are added for displaying in the panel (you can access this by choosing 'Panel Options' from the Links panel menu):
- Swivle Path. The path of the linked file on Swivle.
- Swivle ID. The Swivle ID of the linked file.
- Swivle URL. The URL to the Swivle object of the linked file.
Figure: The options in the Links Panel Options dialog.
Figure: The Links panel with options shown in the Link Info pane.
- An About Swivle for InDesign... option in the InDesign menu (on macOS) or Help menu (on Windows). This displays the version of the Swivle for InDesign plug-in that is installed.
Uninstalling Swivle for InDesign
In case you want to uninstall Swivle for InDesign from your system, do the following:
- On macOS: From the original InDesign folder (by default the Applications folder), double-click the file named 'Uninstall Swivle InDesign plug-ins.app' and follow the instructions on screen.
- On Windows: From the Windows 'Add/remove programs' feature, uninstall 'SwivleInDesign'.
- 22 January 2024: Updated the link of the Swivle for InDesign installer to version 4.7.3.
- 2 January 2024: Updated the link of the Swivle for InDesign installer to version 4.7.2.