The About WoodWing dialog is used for displaying information about the version of Smart Connection that is installed and also contains tools for activating or transferring a license.
The About WoodWing dialog.
The dialog is displayed by doing one of the following:
- MacOS: Choose InDesign > About WoodWing Plug-ins or InCopy > About WoodWing Plug-ins
- Windows: Choose Help > About WoodWing Plug-ins
In certain circumstances, the dialog does not appear.
When the About WoodWing dialog cannot be shown, the following cannot be done:
- Verifying which version of Smart Connection is installed
- Activating or transferring the license
The About WoodWing dialog is implemented using an Adobe extension named WoodWingUI_<Adobe Version>.zxp.
The installation of this extension is done by an Adobe tool named ExManCmd.
When this installation fails for some reason, the About WoodWing dialog cannot be displayed.
Various solutions exist, and not every solution may work on your system. Try the following solutions in order.
Solution 1 - Follow the Adobe troubleshooting steps
As a first step, verify that the extensions and add-ons for the Adobe Creative Cloud Apps are working correctly by following the steps in this Adobe article:
Solution 2 - Use a script to activate or transfer a license
Should it still not be possible to display the About WoodWing dialog and you need to activate or transfer a license, a script can be used for performing these steps.
Note: This script can only be used for transferring a license to the same version of Smart Connection.
Contact WoodWing Support via firstname.lastname@example.org to request this script. Please include the version of InDesign or InCopy (CC 2019, 2020, and so on) in which Smart Connection is installed.
Solution 3 - Advanced steps
Note: Only use this step when you are comfortable running commands from the command line on your system.
The Smart Connection installer places the ExManCmd tool on your system in the WoodWingUI ZXP folder in the application folder of InDesign or InCopy.
Instead of running the installer again, it can be helpful to run the ExManCmd tool from the command line when troubleshooting.
The following commands might be useful:
- Show all commands:
- MacOS: ./ExManCmd/MacOS/ExManCmd --help
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /help
- Lists all extensions that are currently on the system for all Adobe products.
- MacOS: ./ExManCmd/MacOS/ExManCmd --list all
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /list all
Note: In Smart Connection 14.2.3 or any higher version of Smart Connection 14, this also rebuilds the ExMan.db database if it is not present.
- Install the extension for the About WoodWing dialog:
- MacOS:./ExManCmd/MacOS/ExManCmd --install WoodWingUI_CC2019_v14.zxp
- Windows: Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /install WoodWingUI_CC2019_v14.zxp
Note: Replace 'WoodWingUI_CC2019_v14' with your version of Adobe CC and Smart Connection.
- Remove the extension for the About WoodWing dialog:
- MacOS: /ExManCmd/MacOS/ExManCmd --remove WoodWingUICC2019
- Windows: .\ExManCmd\ExManCmd.exe /remove WoodWingUICC2019
Note: Replace 'WoodWingUICC2019' with your version of Adobe CC and Smart Connection.
- 27 August 2020: Updated section 'Solution 3 - Advanced steps' with a note about Smart Connection 14.2.3.