This article describes how to install, activate, and uninstall Smart Styles.
Each version of Smart Styles is compatible with a specific version of Adobe InDesign or InCopy:
- Smart Styles for Adobe 2020 can be installed in InDesign 2020 and InCopy 2020
- Smart Styles for Adobe CC 2019 can be installed in InDesign CC 2019 and InCopy 2019
- Smart Styles for Adobe CC 2018 can be installed in InDesign CC 2018 and InCopy 2018
- and so on...
For the system requirements for Adobe InDesign and InCopy, see the documentation for Adobe.
The installers for Smart Styles can be downloaded from the WoodWing Web site. For details, see Smart Styles installers.
To install Smart Styles, double-click the downloaded installer and follow the instructions on screen.
Note: Make sure to be logged in to your system as an Administrator when installing the software.
Smart Styles is installed in the following locations:
- Plug-ins. <InDesign/InCopy application folder>/Plug-ins/WoodWing
- Sample files. <InDesign/InCopy application folder>/WoodWing
Info: This feature requires Smart Styles version 15 for Adobe 2020 or higher for Windows.
On Windows, Smart Styles can be silently installed by running the following command:
msiexec.exe /i <path_to_msi_file> /QN <parameters> /L*V
Use the following parameters:
- SMART_STYLES_OPTION. Defines if Smart Styles should be installed for InDesign or for InCopy. Possible values: InDesign, InCopy.
- ID_PATH. The path to the InDesign application folder; only used when installing Smart Styles in InDesign.
- IC_PATH. The path to the InCopy application folder; only used when installing Smart Styles in InCopy.
- L*V (Optional) Option for generating a log file in a defined location.
Without a log file:
msiexec.exe /i "C:\Windows\System32" /QN SMART_STYLES_OPTION="InDesign" ID_PATH="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2020"
With a log file:
msiexec.exe /i "C:\Windows\System32" /QN SMART_STYLES_OPTION="InDesign" ID_PATH="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2020" /L*V "c:\tmp\ssinstall.log"
After installation, your copy of Smart Styles needs to be activated. Without activation, Smart Styles will not function.
Smart Styles can be activated as a trial version or as a licensed version.
- Trial version. To try out Smart Styles without purchasing a license, the application can be activated for a period of 30 days.
- Licensed version. For activating your copy of Smart Styles as a licensed version, you need to purchase a valid license upon which you will receive a serial number with which you can activate Smart Styles permanently.
Activation is done via the Welcome screen or the About WoodWing Plug-Ins screen by clicking the appropriate button and following the instructions on screen.
The Welcome screen automatically appears in the following situations:
- After starting up InDesign or InCopy for the first time after having installed a WoodWing plug-in (and as long as that product is not activated).
- At various times during the period when the product is activated as a demo version (showing the total number of days left) when starting up InDesign or InCopy.
Note: The Welcome screen keeps appearing when starting up the application, until all installed products have been activated (either as a trial version or as a licensed version). Either can be done via the Welcome screen or the About WoodWing Plug-Ins screen.
The About WoodWing Plug-ins screen
The About WoodWing Plug-Ins screen automatically appears in the following situations:
- After an activation has been transferred (in case the product needs to be activated again).
- During the period when the product is activated with a time limited serial number, each time InDesign or InCopy is started (showing the total number of days left).
The About WoodWing Plug-Ins screen can also be displayed at any time by doing the following:
- MacOS: From the InDesign/InCopy menu, choose About WoodWing Plug-ins... .
- Windows: From the Help menu, choose About WoodWing Plug-ins... .
Transferring an activation
Once Smart Styles has been activated, it is possible to transfer your serial number to another computer. You still have only one license, but this will allow you to switch to another computer if needed.
Step 1. Display the About WoodWing Plug-ins Plug-Ins screen by doing the following:
- MacOS: From the InDesign/InCopy menu, choose About WoodWing Plug-ins.
- Windows: From the Help menu, choose About WoodWing Plug-ins.
Step 2. Select Smart Styles.
Step 3. Click Transfer Activation and follow the instructions on screen.
A message appears indicating that the serial number must be validated via the internet.
To uninstall Smart Styles, access the application folder for InDesign or InCopy and double-click 'Uninstall Smart Styles'.
- 4 November 2019: Added section 'Silent installation'.