A publication such as a daily newspaper can have a release in the morning and a release in the evening and may be published in multiple regions of the country.
Part of the content will be identical for each release (such as the main news stories and adverts from major companies), while other content will be specific to the edition itself (such as local news stories, adverts from local businesses, and so on).
Instead of creating a layout for each publication in which the content that is the same for each edition is created from scratch and has to be individually managed, the Editions feature of Smart Connection makes it possible to create a single layout that contains both the content that is shared across editions as well as the content that is specific to each individual edition.
This article describes how to work with Editions in Smart Connection for InCopy.
How it works
In short, the process is as follows:
- Setting up Editions. When the Enterprise system is set up by the system administrator, the Editions that should be available for a Brand are defined.
- Assigning Editions to an article. In InCopy, an article is created and saved to a Brand. During this process, the Editions of which the article should be part are selected.
Note: Editions can also be assigned to an article by the layout designer using Smart Connection for InDesign.
- Viewing the layout. When viewing an article that is placed on a layout, the content that is assigned to a particular Edition can be viewed.
Each step is explained in more detail in the following sections.
Creating new Editions, renaming or deleting existing Editions can only be done in Enterprise Server by the system administrator; it cannot be done from within InDesign.
Assigning Editions to an article
Assigning Editions in InCopy is done when first saving the article to the Enterprise system.
The Editions list in the Save As dialog box will always display all Editions that are available in the Brand that the article is being saved to.
When Editions have been set up in a Brand, any article that is saved to that Brand needs to be assigned to at least one Edition.
Initially, all Editions will be selected by default in the Save As or Check In dialog box, but they can be selected or deselected as needed, as long as at least one Edition is selected.
Note: Changing Editions through the Save As workflow dialog box is only possible when you have been given sufficient privileges by your administrator.
Once an article is saved to a Brand, the assigned Editions can be changed when performing any of the following actions:
- Check In
- Save As
- Copy To
- When changing the properties of the file
For more information about these actions, see:
- Opening and closing articles in InDesign using Smart Connection
- Closing or saving an article using Smart Connection for InCopy
The dialog box that will appear will always display all Editions that are available in the selected Brand. Unassigning Editions is then similar to assigning them: select or deselect the appropriate Edition(s).
Note: Changing Editions through any of the workflow dialog boxes is only possible when you have been given sufficient privileges by your administrator.
When working on an article that is placed on a layout, it is possible to show or hide all items that belong to a particular Edition.
This is done by using the Editions panel. It can be accessed through Window > Smart Connection > Editions.
To view the content of an Edition, select its View icon in front of the Edition name in the Editions panel. Doing so automatically deselects the currently viewed Edition; only one Edition can be viewed at a time.
Editions and text wrap
In case text wrap has been applied to one or more frames that have an Edition assigned, viewing or hiding these frames might affect the appearance of other items.
In the following example for instance, two text frames are created that overlap each other. One text frame with text wrap applied is assigned to Edition North, while another text frame with no text wrap applied is assigned to Edition North and South.
When Edition North is displayed, the text in the other frame is wrapped.
Figure: A frame with text wrap applied affects the underlying frame.
When Edition South is displayed, the text in the other frame is not wrapped because the frame with the text wrap applied is now hidden.
Figure: When hiding the frame with text wrap applied, the display of the other frame is affected.
Viewing Edition information in the Smart Connection panel
To easily see to which Editions an article or layout is assigned, view the Editions column in the Smart Connection panel.
Troubleshooting the Editions panel
When working with the Editions panel, the following can occur:
- The panel is empty. This happens when:
- The article is not yet saved to Enterprise.
- The article is saved to a Brand for which no Editions have been defined.
- The article is viewed in Galley or Story view instead of in Layout view.
- The selection options in the panel cannot be changed. These options are not available in InCopy and can only be used in InDesign.
- 5 June 2019: Converted from PDF and re-written.