Working on files using Smart Connection for InDesign or InCopy is done by using many tools and features.
Some of these tools and features are part of InDesign or InCopy, others are added by Smart Connection or exist in Enterprise Server to which Smart Connection connects.
Access to these tools and features can be controlled in either Enterprise Server or in Smart Connection itself.
This article explains how this is done.
The following functionality is controlled in Enterprise Server:
- Access Rights are assigned to a user or user group and control the actions that users can and cannot perform, such as opening a file for editing (typically coupled to a Workflow Status), applying styles, working with Sticky Notes, and more. See Access Rights in Enterprise 10.
- Specific features are controlled through the configserver.php file of Enterprise Server, especially those in the SERVERFEATURES list. Refer to the comments of the list for the possible options to configure. The file can be found in the following location:
<Enterprise Server path>/config
- Metadata properties can be created and renamed, or displayed and grouped in dialog boxes. See the metadata articles for Enterprise Server.
Configuring the functionality of Smart Connection is done in the following places:
- The WWSettings.xml file
- The preferences of InDesign or InCopy
- The keyboard shortcuts of InDesign or InCopy
The WWSettings.xml file
The WWSettings.xml file is located on the system on which InDesign or InCopy is installed and is used for controlling specific settings for running Smart Connection on that system.
Note: The WWSettings.xml file is shared with other WoodWing applications such as Content Station 9. You may therefore find additional settings in the file that are not related to using Smart Connection.
When not already present, the file is installed by the Smart Connection installer in the following location:
- Mac OS X: /Library/Application Support/WoodWing
- Windows: c:\ProgramData\WoodWing
Note: On Windows, this folder is hidden by default. To display it, change the folder options. (See the Windows Help file.)
The main setting to configure in this file is the link to the Enterprise Server instance(s) to which the user can connect. See Adding Servers to the Log In list of Smart Connection.
For other options that can be configured, see the comments in the file and the articles for configuring Smart Connection.
Important: Make sure to validate the structure of the file after making any changes.
Smart Connection adds its own set of preferences to InDesign and InCopy. For more information, see Smart Connection preferences.
Smart Connection adds an additional set of keyboard shortcuts to InDesign and InCopy.
For more information, see: