Working on files in Elvis begins with first finding the files that you want to work on.
This article describes the various ways in which files can be located in the Elvis 6 Pro client.
Ways of searching
There are various ways in which you can search for files:
- By entering a search term
- By browsing the folder structure of Elvis
- By choosing a predefined search
- By filtering the search results by using additional criteria
Each of these methods can be used individually or in combination with one or all of the other methods.
Example: Here, 3 methods are used: a search term "architecture" is entered in the Search box (A), an images folder is selected (B) and the search results are filtered to show images in landscape orientation only (C).
Entering a search term
Enter a search term in the Search box to find any files with that phrase in their file name, description, tags, and so on.
- After entering the search term press Enter to perform the search.
- When entering a search term, the following appears in a list below the Search box:
- For Elvis 6.23 or lower: any previously used search terms that match the currently entered search term. Click a term in the list to search on that term.
- For Elvis 6.24 or higher:
- In the top section: a reference to the entered search term. Click it to search on that term.
- In the bottom section: a list of found folders which names contain the currently entered search term. Click a folder to show its content in the search results.
- When browsing the folder structure (see below) while a search term is entered, the search looks for all files that contain the search term and that are stored in the chosen location.
- To find all files within a location, press Enter while leaving the Search box empty or click the 'x' on the right side of the search box.
Browsing the folder structure
Use the Folder Browser to restrict the search within a folder of the Elvis structure.
- The Folder Browser can be hidden and shown by clicking the Folder Browser icon.
Figure: Clicking the Folder Browser icon (A) will show the Folder Browser (B).
- Browse to the folder in which you want to search.
- By default, the search includes all sub folders. To search in the selected folder only, disable "Show files in subfolder(s)".
- The search result shows all files within the selected folder. If a search term is entered (see above) and/or the Filter is used (see below), the search result takes these into account.
- The currently selected folder is shown to the left of the Search box. When the Folder Browser is closed, this shows you in which folder you are currently searching.
- To return to the top (root) folder, click 'x' next to the folder name to the left of the Search box or click the empty space in the first column.
Figure: Return to the root folder by clicking the 'x' (A) or by clicking in an empty space in the first column (B).
- Adjust the height of the Folder Browser by dragging the divider at the bottom up or down.
Figure: Drag the divider (A) to adjust the height of the folder window.
Using a predefined search
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.12 or higher.
Some assets are searched for on a regular basis, such as those in a particular location, with a particular status, and so on.
The search criteria for finding these assets can be made available by the system administrator in the form of a Search Preset.
When one or more Search Presets are available, they appear in a list in front of the Search box. This way, you can quickly access the assets by choosing the preset instead of having to enter or be aware of the search criteria yourself.
Figure: Choosing a Search Preset.
Filtering the search results
Use the Filter to further narrow down the search results.
- The Filter can be hidden and shown by clicking the Filter icon.
Figure: The Filter (B) is accessed by clicking the Filter icon (A).
- Add or remove Filter options by clicking the Configure Filters icon and selecting/de-selecting options from the list. Up to 20 options at a time can be used (the total number of selected options is shown at the bottom of the panel). Use the Search box to quickly find an option.
Figure: Click the Configure Filters icon (A) and use the panel (B) to add or remove options. Up to 20 options can be added, the number of selected options is shown at the bottom of the panel (C).
- Use a Filter option by:
- Typing some text and pressing Enter.
- Selecting or clearing a check box.
- Choosing an option from a list.
- Clicking a tag.
- Selecting a taxonomy value from a list (see Working with metadata in the Pro client of Elvis 6)
- Clear a Filter option by clicking its Clear label or click Clear All to clear all Filter options.
- To keep the Filter options active while using the Search box and/or Folder Browser, click "Keep Filters".
Saving a Search
If you regularly search for the same files, save the search by creating a bookmark in the Web browser.
- 22 November 2018: Updated section 'Entering a search term by adding information about what is displayed below the Search box when entering a search term.