A distinction is made between working with the following types of files:
- InDesign layouts
- All other types of files
Depending on the type of file and the workflow used, installation and configuration steps are required.
Opening InDesign layouts
Opening layouts in InDesign requires the Elvis InDesign client to be installed. For more information, see Installing the Elvis InDesign client.
Opening all other types of files
For opening all other types of files in their native editor, two types of workflow are available:
- An automated workflow using Elvis Agent. Elvis Agent is an application that is installed on the same system on which the Pro client is used and makes it possible to automatically open a checked-out file in its native editor, to automatically check-in the file, and to work with versions of the file.
- A manual workflow without Elvis Agent. In this scenario, opening files in their native editor and choosing the file to check-in all needs to be done manually. No functionality exists for working with versions of the file. This is the default workflow of the Elvis Pro client and does not require additional installation or configuration steps.
Using Elvis Agent
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.11 or higher.
Elvis Agent is an application that is installed on the same system on which the Pro client is used and makes it possible to automatically open a checked-out file in its native editor, to automatically check-in the file, and to work with versions of the file.
Using Elvis Agent requires installation and configuration steps.
Installation and configuration
Elvis Agent needs to be installed on the system on which the Pro client is used and Elvis Server needs to be configured.
For details, see Installing Elvis Agent.
A log file for Elvis Agent is stored in the following location:
- MacOS: ~/Library/Logs/Elvis Agent/log.log
- Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Elvis Agent\log.log
- 26 June 2018: Moved section 'Configuration' to Installing Elvis Agent.
- 6 June 2018: Updated section 'Configuration' by changing the file to configure from 'node-config.properties.txt' to 'cluster-config.properties.txt'.
- 1 May 2018: Updated the configuration step by making a distinction between Elvis 6.13 and older versions.