Opening files for editing (file check-out and check-in) using the Pro client of Elvis 6 - configuration
A distinction is made between working with the following types of files:
- InDesign layouts
- All other types of files
Depending on the type of file and the workflow used, installation and configuration steps are required.
Opening InDesign layouts
Opening layouts in InDesign requires the Elvis InDesign client to be installed. For more information, see Installing the Elvis InDesign client.
Opening all other types of files
For opening all other types of files in their native editor, two types of workflow are available:
- An automated workflow using Elvis Agent. Elvis Agent is an application that is installed on the same system on which the Pro client is used and makes it possible to automatically open a checked-out file in its native editor, to automatically check-in the file, and to work with versions of the file.
- A manual workflow without Elvis Agent. In this scenario, opening files in their native editor and choosing the file to check-in all needs to be done manually. No functionality exists for working with versions of the file. This is the default workflow of the Elvis Pro client and does not require additional installation or configuration steps.
Using Elvis Agent
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.11 or higher.
Elvis Agent is an application that is installed on the same system on which the Pro client is used and makes it possible to automatically open a checked-out file in its native editor, to automatically check-in the file, and to work with versions of the file.
Using Elvis Agent requires installation and configuration steps.
Elvis Agent needs to be installed on the system on which the Pro client is used.
For details, see Installing Elvis Agent.
In order for the Elvis Agent to be able to communicate with Elvis Server, a configuration setting needs to be enabled.
Step 1. Define the port number through which the communication should take place through the following option:
- File: node-config.properties.txt file
- Name of option: stompPort
- Possible values: any number
- Default setting: 0 (zero, communication with the Elvis Agent is disabled)
Step 2. Restart Elvis Server.
A log file for Elvis Agent is stored in the following location:
- MacOS: ~/Library/Logs/Elvis Agent/log.log
- Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Elvis Agent\log.log