Configuring Inception for publishing to Facebook Instant Articles
Before you can start publishing Inception Stories as Facebook Instant Articles, steps need to be performed in Facebook as well as in Inception.
This article describes the configuration steps needed to set up a connection between Inception and Facebook.
Note: To fully publish Instant Articles, Facebook requires you to perform additional steps, including following a review process of submitting 10 articles (with feedback provided within 3-5 business days). For more information, see the Facebook Instant Articles Quickstart Guide as well as the Instant Articles Configuration page that is referred to below.
The process of connecting Inception with Facebook consists of the following steps:
- Signing up your Facebook page for Instant Articles.
- Setting up a Publish Channel in Inception.
- Generating an RSS feed URL
- Claiming your URL on Facebook
- Setting up the Facebook Production RSS feed.
Note: Facebook allows distributing Instant Articles to Facebook through either the Instant Articles API or through a secure RSS feed. Currently, Inception only supports distribution through a secure RSS feed.
1. Signing up for Instant Articles on your Facebook page
To publish Stories to your Facebook page as Instant Articles, the Instant Articles feature needs to be enabled on your page.
Step 1. Make sure that you are logged in to your Facebook account.
Step 2. In the same Web browser, access the following link:
Step 3. Click Sign Up, choose the Facebook page that you want to publish to and click Enable Instant Articles.
2. Setting up a Publish Channel in Inception
Publishing a Story in Inception is done through a Publish Channel. A new Publish Channel needs to be set up for Facebook so that Inception and Facebook can communicate with each other.
Step 1. In Inception, access the Publish channels page by clicking your Avatar followed by Configuration.
Step 2. In the menu on the left, click Facebook Instant Articles and click Add Channel.
Step 3. Fill out the details:
Note: Your changes are automatically saved.
- Name. Enter a descriptive name (such as the name of your page). The user will see this name in a list of pages to publish to.
- Page Content ID. Obtain this ID as follows:
In the Instant Articles Configuration page on Facebook, click Claim Your URL and from the section of code that appears, copy the value that is given for 'content'.
Example: In the following section, '176445039275938' is copied:
On your Facebook page, click Settings and from the menu on the left, choose Instant Articles.
Figure: Click 'Instant Articles' (A), followed by 'Set Up' (B).
- Maximum Image Size. Set the maximum width and height (in pixels) for images in a Story. All images that exceed these sizes will be down-sized in the published Story to these maximum settings (this option needs to be manually enabled when publishing a Story). Down-sizing images results in lower file sizes and therefore shorter download times for the user.
3. Generating an RSS feed URL
Publishing an Inception Story as a Facebook Instant Article is done by distributing it as an RSS feed. The URL for this feed needs to be provided to Facebook. Generating the URL is done by publishing a Story in Inception.
Note: You only need to perform this process once: you can use the same URL when connecting multiple Facebook pages to Inception. As soon as the URL is generated, it will appear in the 'RSS feed URL' in Inception. Simply copy it to use it on the Facebook Instant Articles Setup page.
Step 1. Publish a Story to Facebook.
A message appears showing the RSS feed URL:
Step 2. Copy the URL by right-clicking it and choosing Copy.
Step 3. Close the message by clicking OK.
Note: Now that the URL is generated, it is automatically added to the Publish Channel page in Inception for future reference.
4. Claiming your URL on Facebook
Step 1. Return to the Instant Articles Configuration page on Facebook and the Claim your URL section.
Step 2. Paste the copied URL and remove 'rss.xml' at the end.
Step 3. Click Claim URL.
5. Setting up the Facebook Production RSS feed
Step 1. Still on the Instant Articles Configuration page on Facebook, click Production RSS Feed.
Step 2. Paste the copied URL and click Save.
Completing your setup on Facebook
To further complete the process of publishing Instant Articles, follow the steps as outlined in the Instant Articles Configuration page on Facebook, or check the Facebook Instant Articles Quickstart Guide.