Info: This feature is not available in Enterprise Server 10.6.0 or higher.
This article describes how to set up a Publication Channel in Enterprise Server 10 for outputting content to digital devices — such as tablets or smartphones — using Adobe AEM.
Step 1. Access the Brand Maintenance page.
In the Maintenance menu or on the Home page, click Brands.
Step 2. Locate the Publication Channel options.
Step 3. Click Add.
The Publication Channel Maintenance page appears.
Step 4. In the Name field, enter a name that is unique within that Brand.
Step 5. In the Description field, enter a description.
Step 6. From the Publication Channel Type list, choose dps2.
Step 7. From the Publish System list, choose Adobe AEM.
Step 8. Leave the Suggestion Provider option set to None, it is not used for Adobe AEM.
Step 9. Click Create.
An additional section named Adobe AEM appears as well as sections for creating Editions and Issues.
Filling out the Adobe AEM section
Note: The Project field is a read-only field and is automatically filled by Enterprise (this occurs at a later stage during the integration process).
Step 10. From the Default Article Access list, choose from the following options:
- Metered. Enables a user to preview an article for free, but only as long as the total number of free articles that can be viewed for that publication has not yet been reached. Once that total is reached, the user is prompted to purchase the publication or a subscription.
Note: Setting the total number of free articles is done in the account administration panel of Adobe AEM.
- Protected. Protects the story from sharing it through social media in the following ways:
- Viewing a representation of the story in a desktop browser.
- Sharing the story through Facebook, Adobe AEM, e-mail and by Copy Link.
Sharing is done by making a URL available:
- For unprotected stories, this URL links to a representation of the story which can be viewed in a supported desktop browser or on a smartphone or tablet.
- For protected stories, this URL links to the publication URL (a URL that contains information about the publication).
- Free. Makes the story available to all users for free.
Step 11. Select the check box Create Collections. This makes sure that when a layout is checked in, a Collection is automatically created when that Collection does not yet exist.
Editions represent the output device that is published to. In Adobe AEM, output devices are of a generic type such as a smartphone or a tablet, and not for a specific device such as an iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S4.
An Edition should therefore be created for each of these output device types.
Step 12. Click Add Edition.
The Edition Maintenance page appears.
Step 13. Enter the name "phones" in the Name box.
Step 14. (Optional) Enter a description in the Description box.
Step 15. Click Update.
The Publication Channel Maintenance page appears with the newly created Edition added to the Editions menu.
Step 16. Add another Edition named tablets.
Step 17. (Optional) In the Order box on the Publication Channel Maintenance page, enter an order number for each Edition and click Reorder. This will determine in which order the Editions are displayed in the client application interfaces.
Step 18. On the Publication Channel Maintenance page, click Add Issue.
The Issue Maintenance page appears.
Step 19. Fill out the details.
Note: At the most basic level, only a name needs to be entered; all other options can also be set at a later stage by modifying the created Issue.
- Name. Name of the Issue.
- Publication Date. Date (and time, if required) when the Issue needs to be published by.
- Deadline. Date (and time, if required) when the Issue needs to be finished by.
Tip: Instead of entering a date, enter the number of days, hours, and/or minutes before the publication date should be reached and click the Recalculate icon. This will automatically calculate the Deadline based on the entered Publication Date.
- Expected Pages. Number of expected pages.
- Subject. This feature is currently not functional.
- Description. The description of the issue; appears in the Library of the Content Viewer.
- Active. Use to deactivate the Issue. This will hide the Issue from the users without actually removing the Issue from the system.
Note: Any objects that are assigned to the Issue can still be found by searching on All Issues.
- Overrule Brand. Use to determine if the new Issue should have its own deadline, Category, Workflow, and User Authorization definitions. After selecting this option, click the Update button to display the options for setting the Categories, Workflow, and Authorizations for this Issue.
Step 20. Click Update.
Finishing the setup
Step 21. Click the arrow at the bottom of the page to return to the Publication Channel Maintenance page.
Step 22. (Optional) Add additional Issues as needed.
Step 23. Click the arrow at the bottom of the page to return to the Brand Maintenance page.
Step 24. (Optional) Add additional Publication Channels as needed.
Step 25. (Optional, only if multiple Publication Channels have been created) From the Default Publication Channel list at the top of the Brand Maintenance page, choose the default Publication Channel that should act as the default AEM channel.
Note: In order for this feature to work properly, it is imperative that an order sequence for the created Issues is correctly specified on the Publication Channel Maintenance page. If this is not done (or not done correctly), Enterprise may not be able to properly determine the Previous and Next issues.
Figure: The Default Publication Channel list.
Step 26. Click Update.
Step 27. (Optional, only if the Overruled Brand option has been selected) In order for the Overruled Issue to be visible in Content Station, enable the Enterprise Server plug-in named Content Station Overrule Compatibility.
Step 27a. In Enterprise Server, click Server Plug-ins in the Maintenance menu or on the Home page.
Step 27b. Click the Unplugged icon for the plug-in named Content Station Overrule Compatibility. It changes to a Plugged In icon .
- 25 February 2019: Added information about support for Enterprise Server 10.6.0 and higher.