Working with Dossiers in Content Station 10
A Dossier forms the basis of creating a story and is used for gathering all files that are related to the story.
Also, uploading files to Enterprise using Content Station 10 is done from within a Dossier.
This article describes how to work with Dossiers in Content Station 10. The following topics are discussed:
- Creating a Dossier
- Dossier thumbnails
- Viewing modes
- Adding files to a Dossier
- Removing files from a Dossier
- Changing the settings of a Dossier
- Adding Notes to a Dossier
- Viewing which Enterprise files are linked to a Dossier
- Bookmarking Dossiers
- Sharing a Dossier link with other users
Step 1. Click Create new... at the top of the page.
The Create New dialog appears.
Step 2. Click the Dossier icon and click Next.
Note: You can ignore the 'Based on template' option, it is not used for Dossiers.
Step 3. Fill out all necessary details and click Create. The Dossier is created and automatically opened.
When viewing the search results in thumbnail view, Dossiers can be recognized by their grid design.
Figure: A Dossier in thumbnail view. It contains a layout, an article, plus 4 additional files.
When a Dossier contains files, the large preview on the left and the smaller preview in the top right of the grid show a preview of the most important files of the Dossier, such as a layout and an article.
The additional number of files that the Dossier contains is shown in the bottom right corner of the grid.
A Dossier can be viewed in the following modes:
- Thumbnail view. Shows a thumbnail of each file or, when no thumbnail is available, the file icon.
- List view. Shows all files as a list.
- Story view. (Requires Content Station 10.21 or higher) Shows articles as a story. For more information, see Showing an article as a story in Content Station 10.
Each mode can be accessed by clicking its button in the toolbar:
Figure: Choosing a viewing mode in a Dossier.
Adding files to a Dossier can be done in the following ways:
- Adding files that do not yet exist in Enterprise
- Adding files that already exist in Enterprise
Adding files that do not yet exist in Enterprise
Files that do not yet exist in Enterprise can be directly uploaded to an existing Dossier. For details, see Uploading files to Enterprise in Content Station 10.
Adding files that already exist in Enterprise
Files that already exist in Enterprise can be added to an existing Dossier in the following way:
Step 1. Select one or more files that you want to add to an existing Dossier.
Step 2. Right-click any of the files and from the menu choose Add to Dossier.
A window appears from which you can choose the Dossier to add the files to.
Step 3. Do one of the following:
- Use the Search box to search for an existing Dossier
- Choose a Dossier from the list of recently opened Dossiers
Tip: Hover the mouse over a Dossier to see to its Status, Brand, and Issue.
Step 4. Add the file by doing one of the following:
- Double-clicking the Dossier name
- Selecting the Dossier and clicking Add to Dossier.
Select one or more files, right-click any of them and from the menu choose Remove from Dossier.
Changing the settings of a Dossier, such as its name, can be done in the following ways:
- By using the Properties pane on the Search page. Select a single Dossier, make sure that the Properties pane is open by clicking its icon on the right side of the screen, and change any of the available settings.
- By opening the Dossier and clicking the name at the top of the page to change it. (Requires Content Station 10.17 or higher.)
- By opening the Dossier and clicking Properties at the top of the page to open the Properties window to change any of the Dossier settings. (Requires Content Station 10.17 or higher.)
Figure: Changing the settings of a selected Dossier by opening the Properties pane (A) and changing any of the settings (B).
Figure: Changing the properties of a Dossier within a Dossier.
Figure: The name of a Dossier can be quickly changed by clicking the name within the Dossier.
Notes can be added to a Dossier in the form of a chat box, typically as a way of conveying the content of the Dossier to other users or for discussing the content with them.
For more information about using Dossier Notes, see Working with Dossier Notes in Content Station 10.
Info: This feature requires Content Station 10.18 or higher.
A Dossier typically contains multiple files and a file can be part of one or more Dossiers.
To see which files a Dossier contains without opening the Dossier, or to see to which Dossiers a file belongs, use the Linked Files panel.
Figure: The Linked Files panel shows to which files in Enterprise a file is linked.
For each file, the relation to the selected article is shown: 'Part of' for a Dossier that the article that is part, 'Contains' for a file that is part of a Dossier, and so on.
For more information, see Viewing to which Enterprise files a file is linked using Content Station 10.
When opening a Dossier, the link in the address bar of the Web browser points directly to that Dossier. For easy and quick access to it, simply create a bookmark for it in your Web browser.
Similar to bookmarking the link of a Dossier, you can also share the link with other users, or click on a link that you have received from someone else.
Note: Of course, the person who uses the link needs to have sufficient permissions to access the Dossier.
- 18 May 2017: Updated screenshot of Create New dialog with new design.
- 4 May 2017: Added section 'Viewing modes'.
- 21 March 2017: Added information about the Linked Files panel.
- 6 March 2017: Added information about changing the Dossier settings from within the Dossier.
- 6 February 2017: Added information about using Dossier Notes.
- 18 January 2017: Added information about adding Enterprise files to a Dossier.
- 18 January 2017: Added information about removing a file from a Dossier.