Setting up the Pro client in Elvis 5
The Pro Client is one of the ways of accessing Elvis 5 through a Web browser.
It provides easy access to content that is stored in Elvis and because of its wide range of features it is perfect for both general and advanced use.
Figure: Accessing content in Elvis through the Pro Client.
This article describes how to set up the Pro client so that users can start using it.
Installation and configuration
The Pro client is part of Elvis Server and is therefore installed as part of the Elvis Server installation. No additional configuration steps are needed.
Setting up user permissions
As for any other Elvis client, users need to be given permission to use the Pro client and its features. This is done by using the tools in the Desktop client as described in Controlling user permissions in Elvis 5.
For the Pro client, take note of the following:
- Use the Capability named 'Web client' to provide users access to the Pro client.
- Check the list of client features in Controlling user access to clients and client features in Elvis 5 to see which apply to the Pro client.
The look and feel of the Pro client can be changed to match the style of the brand that the Pro client is used for, for example by matching it with the branding of a company, product or publication.
The following can be adjusted:
- The background image of the Sign In page
- The logo in the header
- The color of the header
- The highlight color (used for buttons, selections and various other small page items)
- The 'favicon' shown in a Web browser
- The 'Feedback' and 'Help' links
Figure: The default background image of the Sign In page.
Figure: A custom background image on a customized Sign In page.
Figure: The default Branding settings.
Figure: The Branding settings adjusted to match the WoodWing brand.
Changing the background image of the Sign In page
Info: This feature requires Elvis 5.21 or higher.
Since Elvis 5.21, a background image is shown on the Sign In page. It can be replaced with a custom image or removed so that a solid gray background is shown.
The default image is stored in the following location:
Using a custom image
To use a custom image, replace the existing image by another image that is also named 'background.jpg'.
Using no image
To use no image, rename the default image to '-background.jpg'. A solid gray background is then used instead.
Changing the logo and colors
Changing the logo and colors is done through the Management console.
Note: Any changes made apply to the Pro client as well as the Brand portal.
Step 1. Access the Management Console by clicking your Avatar and choosing Management console from the menu.
Step 2. From the menu on the left of the page, choose Branding.
Step 3. Make your changes and click Apply.
Changing the favicon
Info: This feature requires Elvis 5.21 or higher.
A favicon is an icon that is shown in various locations in a Web browser such as in tabs and for bookmarks.
Figure: The default favicon for Elvis.
The default icon can be changed to a custom icon by replacing the following image on Elvis Server:
Customizing the 'Feedback' and 'Help' links
Info: This feature requires Elvis 5.22 or higher.
The 'Feedback' and 'Help' commands in the Avatar menu allow users to access the WoodWing Help Center to look up product documentation or to provide feedback about Elvis to WoodWing.
Figure: The Feedback and Help commands in the Avatar menu.
Note: In Elvis 5.21 and older as well as in all versions of the Management console, these options are shown in the header of the page, not in the Avatar menu.
By default, the following links are used:
- Feedback is linked to the Elvis 5 community using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200046016.
- Help is linked to one of the following articles, depending on which area of the Pro client is accessed:
- When the Checked-out files page is accessed, it links to Opening files for editing (file check-out and check-in) using the Pro Client of Elvis 5 using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/articles/206216445.
- When the Shared Links page is accessed, it links to Sharing files with others using the Pro Client of Elvis 5 using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/articles/205272229.
- When any other area is accessed, it links to the main Elvis 5 documentation page using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/categories/200142445.
The Feedback and Help options can be customized in the following ways:
Note: This only applies to the Pro client, not the Management console.
- The URL can be changed to a custom URL
- The option can be removed from the menu
Step 1. Access the cluster-config.properties.txt file on one of the Elvis nodes. See Changing the Elvis 5 Server configuration for a running cluster.
Step 2. Locate or add any of the following options and add a custom URL or leave it blank to remove the option from the Pro client:
- For the Feedback option:
- For the Help option:
Example: Here, the Feedback option is removed while all Help links point to the same URL:
Step 3. Save the file.
Setting up download presets
By default, users can either download a preview of a file, download the original file, or they can create a custom download to download the file in a specific format, size and resolution.
Note: This applies to downloading files in the Pro client itself as well as downloading files that are shared through the Pro client.
To improve efficiency, Download Presets containing often used download settings can be made available to user groups and users of shared files. This way the users do not have to go through the process of creating a Custom Download each time themselves.
Each assigned Download Preset appears in the Download menu for that user.
Figure: Download Presets make it easy for users to quickly download files in a specific format, size and resolution.
Setting up Download presets is done in the Desktop client and is described in Downloading files in Elvis 5.
Making the URL available
Distribute the following URL to users who need to use the Pro client:
<Elvis Server URL>/app
Note that this is the same URL as the one for accessing the Brand portal. When accessing the URL and entering the log-in credentials, one of two things will happen:
- For users with a Basic user license the Brand portal will appear.
- For users with a Standard or Pro user license or for Super users, the Pro client appears.
Web browser compatibility
Make sure that users access the Pro client by using a Web browser with which the Pro client is compatible. For a full overview, see Supported Web browsers for the Elvis 5 Web Client.
- 21 March 2017: Add information about customizing the ' Feedback' and 'Help' links.
- 1 March 2017: Added information about changing the background image of the Sign In page.
- 1 March 2017: Added information about changing the favicon.