The Pro Client is one of the ways of accessing Elvis 5 through a Web browser.
It provides easy access to content that is stored in Elvis and because of its wide range of features it is perfect for both general and advanced use.
Figure: Accessing content in Elvis through the Pro Client.
This article describes how to set up the Pro client so that users can start using it.
This article describes how to set up the Pro client so that users can start using it. The following topics are described:
- Installation and configuration
- Required licenses
- Setting up user permissions
- Making the URL available
- Web browser compatibility
- Changing the look and feel
- Setting up download presets
- Extending the functionality with plug-ins
The Pro client is part of Elvis Server and is therefore installed as part of the Elvis Server installation. No additional configuration steps are needed.
Network products and RFC compliancy
The Pro client is run in a Web browser and references to assets and queries are therefore expressed in URLs. These URLs can contain ////-sequences and diacritics such as accented characters.
Please note that the URLs that are generated by Elvis are compliant with the URI syntax RFC 3986. Make sure that your network environment such as proxies, gateways and firewalls also support this standard so that the URLs can be successfully routed.
As for any other Elvis client, users need to be given permission to use the Pro client and its features. This is done by using the tools in the Desktop client as described in Controlling user permissions in Elvis 5.
For the Pro client, take note of the following:
- Use the Capability named 'Web client' to provide users access to the Pro client.
- Check the list of client features in Controlling user access to clients and client features in Elvis 5 to see which apply to the Pro client.
Distribute the following URL to users who need to use the Pro client:
<Elvis Server URL>/app
Note that this is the same URL as the one for accessing the Brand portal. When accessing the URL and entering the log-in credentials, one of two things will happen:
- For users with a Basic user license the Brand portal will appear.
- For users with a Standard or Pro user license or for Super users, the Pro client appears.
Make sure that users access the Pro client by using a Web browser with which the Pro client is compatible. For a full overview, see Supported Web browsers for the Elvis 5 Web Client and Elvis 6 Web client.
The look and feel of the Pro client can be changed to match the style of the brand that the Pro client is used for, for example by matching it with the branding of a company, product or publication.
The following can be adjusted:
- The background image of the Sign In page
- The logo in the header
- The color of the header
- The highlight color (used for buttons, selections and various other small page items)
- The metadata icons
- The 'favicon' shown in a Web browser
- The 'Feedback' and 'Help' links
Figure: The default background image of the Sign In page.
Figure: A custom background image on a customized Sign In page.
Figure: The default Branding settings.
Figure: The Branding settings adjusted to match the WoodWing brand.
For more information, see Changing the look and feel of the Pro client in Elvis 5.
By default, users can either download a preview of a file, download the original file, or they can create a custom download to download the file in a specific format, size and resolution.
Note: This applies to downloading files in the Pro client itself as well as downloading files that are shared through the Pro client.
To improve efficiency, Download Presets containing often used download settings can be made available to user groups and users of shared files. This way the users do not have to go through the process of creating a Custom Download each time themselves.
Each assigned Download Preset appears in the Download menu for that user.
Figure: Download Presets make it easy for users to quickly download files in a specific format, size and resolution.
Setting up Download presets is done in the Desktop client and is described in Downloading files using the Desktop client of Elvis 5.
The default functionality of the Pro client can be extended by using plug-ins. Each plug-in will add its own functionality and it depends on the type of plug-in and how it is set up how it can be used in the Pro client.
Some plug-ins will add automated functionality such as archiving files when they reach a particular status while other add functionality that can be manually triggered by clicking a button or a context menu command, or by using a panel.
For more information about using plug-ins in the Pro client, see Extending the Elvis 5 functionality with plug-ins.
- 3 October 2018: Updated section 'Installation and configuration' by adding information about network products and RFC compliancy.
- 2 October 2018: Moved the information about changing the look and feel to a separate article.
- 2 October 2018: Added section 'Extending the functionality with plug-ins'.