The functionality of Elvis 5 Server and its client applications can be extended through the use of plug-ins. This makes it possible to schedule regularly occurring tasks in Elvis Server, or add buttons, menus or panels to the Basic Web client, Pro client and/or the Brand portal.
Various types of plug-ins exist:
- Schedule plug-ins are automated server tasks that require no user interaction. They are typically used to:
- Integrate external systems in Elvis Server
- Import assets (including from other DAM systems)
- Export assets
- Move or delete assets based on metadata values
For more information, see Scheduling tasks in Elvis 5 with Schedule plug-ins.
- Action plug-ins are used for adding custom menus and buttons to the Pro client and/or Brand portal with which windows or tabs can be opened that contain specific features or integrations. Examples of using them include:
- Converting images or videos to a different format
- Creating approval workflows
- Searching external sources
- Printing assets on a contact sheet
For more information, see Adding custom functionality to Elvis 5 by using Action plug-ins.
To get you started, various sample plug-ins are provided with Elvis Server. These show typical use cases such as an upload portal, a Web CMS integration, contact sheets, reports, and more.
For more information, see Elvis 5 sample plug-ins.
Installing and managing plug-ins
For information about installing and managing plug-ins, see Installing and managing plug-ins in Elvis 5.
All plug-ins are located in the <Elvis Config>/plugins folder (available after Elvis server is started for the first time). It contains several sub folders:
- active - all activated plug-ins
- active/internal - all default internal plug-ins
- disabled - all disabled plug-ins
- plugin_base - the shared plug-in code base
- samples - all default sample plug-ins
- 1 October 2018: Renamed from 'Elvis 5 plug-ins - introduction'.
- 1 October 2018: General re-write.