When the user's attention needs to be drawn to specific metadata, an icon (also referred to as a 'flag') can be added as a visual indicator (a process also known as 'flagging').
Example: You may want to visually display a status or indicate that a field contains specific information such as copyright info.
Such icons appear for thumbnails in the search results in the Pro client and the Desktop client and can be set for any standard metadata field or custom metadata field.
Figure: Assets in the Pro client showing icons for the Status, Approval and Copyright fields.
Figure: Assets in the Desktop client showing icons for the Status and Copyright info.
Note: The total number of icons that appear depends on the thumbnail width; when more icons exist than can be displayed, you will only see the first ones that fit.
Instances when icons can be shown
An icon can be shown when:
- The field contains a particular value. This method is typically used when the user can choose from a list of options such as a Status list.
- The field contains any value. This method can be used to indicate that specific information is available for an asset (such as copyright info).
Using custom icons
A default set of icons is shipped with Elvis Server and can be found in the following location:
Feel free to add any custom images in PNG format when needed and assign them to the metadata field of your choice.
The configuration is done in the
<fieldExtensions> section of the custom-assetinfo.xml file of Elvis Server by adding the following value:
flagIcon="name of image file"
See the full examples below.
The maximum number of icons that can be shown is as follows:
- For the Pro client: 6
- For the Desktop client: unlimited (but see Design considerations below)
For information about modifying the custom-assetinfo.xml file, see Changing the Elvis 5 Server configuration for a running cluster.
Setting an icon for a particular field value
Use this method when an icon needs to be shown when a particular value is added to a metadata field.
The default configuration in Elvis shows how this works for the Status field where each status is visualized by an icon with a different color:
<fieldExtensions> <fieldExt name="status" group="General"> <data> <predefinedValues onlyFromList="false"> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_blue.png">New</value> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_blue.png">Draft</value> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_yellow.png">Production</value> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_grey.png">Review</value> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_red.png">Correction</value> <value flagIcon="bullet_ball_glass_green.png">Final</value> </predefinedValues> </data> <userInterface flagPosition="30" /> </fieldExt> </fieldExtensions>
In the example above we can see that when the 'New' or 'Draft' status is chosen, the icon with the blue bullet ball is displayed; when 'Production' is chosen, the icon with the yellow bullet ball is shown, and so on.
Setting an icon when a field contains any value
Use this method when you want to show an icon when a field contains any value (in other words: when the field is not empty).
The default configuration in Elvis shows how this works for the copyright field: when it contains a value, the copyright icon is shown.
<fieldExtensions> <fieldExt name="copyright" group="Rights"> <userInterface flagPosition="50" flagIconWhenNotEmpty="copyright.png" /> </fieldExt> </fieldExtensions>
Controlling the order in which the icons appear
The order in which the icons appear above the thumbnail (from left to right) is controlled through the
The icon for the field that has the lowest number appears first. These values can have any number range and don't necessarily have to directly follow each other.
Example: If you have fields with position '1', '10' and '3000', then that is the order in which they will appear from low to high.
When adding icons, keep the following in mind:
- The number of icons that can be shown for each asset is restricted by the width of the thumbnail (which users can manipulate). If the thumbnail is not wide enough for all icons to be displayed, the user will not see all icons.
- Icons are used to draw attention. When too many icons are shown, the effect of having them may be reduced or lost completely.
- 2 October 2018: Renamed from 'Flagging metadata in Elvis 5'.
- 2 October 2018: Updated the intro by stating that the icons also appear in the Pro client.
- 2 October 2018: Updated section 'Configuration' with information about the maximum number of icons that can be displayed.
Do you have corrections or additional information about this article? Leave a comment! Do you have a question about what is described in this article? Please contact Support.
Please sign in to leave a comment.