A full installation of Smart Connection is an installation on a system on which Smart Connection is not yet installed.
The installation consists of the following steps:
- (Optional) Setting up templates
- Testing the installation
Note: It is assumed here that a fully working Enterprise Server is set up, including Brands and Issues.
Before you start
Please check the compatibility of Smart Connection:
Upgrading InDesign and InCopy
When you are upgrading to a new version of Adobe InDesign or InCopy, keep the following in mind:
- All InDesign and InCopy users should use the same Adobe CC version. This is because documents created in a newer version cannot be opened in a previous version.
- Convert any InDesign and InCopy templates to the new version of InDesign and InCopy. Do this by opening the file and re-saving it.
Step 1. Download the installer from the Software Releases page.
Step 2. Double-click the installer and follow the steps on screen.
Note for installing on MacOS 10.14 Mojave and higher
Due to the security features of MacOS, notifications may appear during the installation such as:
Click OK to continue the installation.
Please note that personal data such as your calendar or photos is not actually accessed. The messages appear because these applications are located in a folder or store data in a folder that has an increased protection. The installer actually needs access to the common folder but not the applications or folders that reside in that folder. This is not clearly explained in the message that appears.
Also note that each message only appears once, so if you see a message appear when installing one application it will not appear again when installing another application.
Controlling these settings can be done in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.
Step 3. When done, click Close to close the installer.
Plug-ins that are moved during installation
During the installation of the Smart Connection plug-ins for InDesign, InCopy, and InDesign Server, a number of plug-ins are moved to a different location because their functionality conflicts with similar functionality in Smart Connection.
Note: On Mac OS the plug-ins have extension .InDesignPlugin, on Windows the plug-ins have extension .apln.
- Assignment UI. Assignment-related user interface.
- InCopy Bridge UI. Live Edit user interface.
- InCopy Bridge. InDesign Bridge functionality.
- InCopyFileActions. File related actions for Live Edit.
- InCopyImport. Import of stories.
- InCopyExport. Standard export.
- InCopyExportUI. User interface for the standard export.
- InCopyWorkflow UI. User interface for the InCopy workflow.
The plug-ins are taken from the following locations in the InDesign/InCopy application folder:
- InDesign: /Plug-Ins/InCopyWorkflow folder and /Plug-Ins/UI folder
- InDesign Server: /Plug-Ins/InCopyWorkflow folder
- InCopy: /Plug-Ins/InCopyWorkflow folder and the /Plug-Ins/UI folder
The plug-ins are moved to a folder named 'Plug-Outs' in the application folder of InDesign, InDesign Server and InCopy.
Note: When uninstalling Smart Connection, these plug-ins are automatically placed back into their original location.
The way that Smart Connection can be used is controlled by configuring Enterprise Server and Smart Connection. For more information, see Configuring Smart Connection.
Before Smart Connection can be used, a license needs to be activated for it. For more information, see the articles about activation.
4. (Optional) Setting up templates
A new article or layout is typically based on a template that matches the styling of the publication of which the article will be part.
Make sure that such templates exist. See Working with article templates in Smart Connection.
5. Testing the installation
As a final step, test the working of Smart Connection by logging in to Enterprise Server and performing tasks such as creating a new layout, placing files that are stored in Enterprise, checking-in the layout, and so on.
- 11 July 2019: Re-written section 1 'Installation'.
- 11 July 2019: Updated section 1 'Installation with information about installing on MacOS 10.14 Mojave.