After installation, Smart Connection will have added the following components to InCopy:
- Menu items
- Workflow dialog boxes
- Frame icons
- Text variable brackets
- User color
- Keyboard shortcuts
- The Smart Connection panel This panel is the direct link to the files that are stored in Enterprise and is therefore the main panel that you will be working with. It is accessed through Window > Smart Connection > Smart Connection.
For more information about using the panel, see:
- Using the Smart Connection panel of Smart Connection
- Searching and locating files using Smart Connection
- The Editions panel. A print publication such as a newspaper can have several Editions: a morning Edition and an evening Edition, or different Editions for different regions. The layout designer in InDesign can specify which components on a layout (such as adverts or news articles) belong to an Edition. The Editions panel allows you to show or hide these Edition specific components when viewing the layout in the Layout tab of InCopy. It is accessed through Window > Smart Connection > Editions.
For more information about Editions, see Working with Editions in Smart Connection.
- The Sticky Note panel. (Not available for Smart Connection CC 2017 and any other higher version of Smart Connection for Adobe CC.) Sticky Notes are short messages or reminders that can be placed on a layout. The Sticky Note panel shows you all Sticky Notes that have been placed on an opened layout and allows you to filter on status, change the status and reply to a Sticky Note. It is accessed through Window > Extensions > Sticky Note.
For more information about working with Sticky Notes, see Working with Sticky Notes in Smart Connection.
- The Sticky Note tool. When an article is placed on a layout, the Sticky Note tool allows you to place a Sticky Note — a short message or reminder — on the layout in the Layout tab.
For more information, see Working with Sticky Notes in Smart Connection.
- The Smart Connection toolbar. This toolbar holds buttons for easily accessing the often used options 'Send Article to Next', 'Update Geometry', and 'Send Message'. The toolbar is accessed through Window > Smart Connection > Smart Connection Toolbar.
For more information about using the Smart Connection toolbar, see Using the Smart Connection toolbar in Smart Connection for InCopy.
- The Resize Text Frame toolbar. When an article is placed on a layout, the Resize Text Frame toolbar allows you to change the size or position of the text frame that holds the article. The toolbar is accessed through Window > Smart Connection > Resize Text Frame Toolbar.
For more information about using the Resize Text Frame toolbar, see Using the Resize Text Frame toolbar in Smart Connection for InCopy.
Smart Connection makes changes to existing menus and adds a new menu.
InCopy menu (Mac OS) / Help menu (Windows)
A command named 'About WoodWing Plug-ins...' is added. Clicking it opens the About WoodWing dialog box which is used for verifying version numbers of installed WoodWing plug-ins (including Smart Connection) and activating these plug-ins or transferring the activation to another system.
Figure; The About WoodWing Plug-ins dialog box.
Some of the added Smart Connection functionality conflicts with existing InCopy functionality.
As a result, the following commands from the File menu have been modified:
|Save All Content||Removed|
|Check In All||Removed|
|Save Content||Renamed to 'Save'|
|Save Content As...||Renamed to 'Save As...'|
|Save Content Copy...||Renamed to 'Save a Copy...'|
|Revert Content||Renamed to 'Revert'|
|Check In||Moved to the Smart Connection menu|
|Cancel Check Out||Moved to the Smart Connection menu|
|Update Content||Moved to the Smart Connection menu|
|Update Design||Moved to the Smart Connection menu|
Note: These changes are made by moving specific plug-ins during the installation of Smart Connection. When Smart Connection is uninstalled these plug-ins are moved back after which all commands are available again.
The Type > Text Variables > Insert Variable menu contains an additional list of Enterprise text variables. These can be used to insert Enterprise-specific variables into your text.
The Object menu contains a submenu named 'Smart Jump', containing commands for the Smart Jump feature (the ability to jump an article from one layout to another with automatic placement of Continued On... and Continued From... elements).
Two new commands are added to the View menu:
- Dim/Undim Non-editable Objects. For dimming all objects on the Layout View that are not checked-out.
- Sticky Notes. For showing or hiding Sticky Notes and their Pins.
Smart Connection menu
The Smart Connection menu is located between the View menu and the Window menu. Together with the Smart Connection panel, it is your main tool for managing articles such as saving them in different ways.
In the Window menu, various commands are added for accessing the Smart Connection toolbars and panels:
- Window > Extensions > Sticky Note. For accessing the Sticky Note panel.
- Window > Smart Connection >
- Editions. For accessing the Editions panel.
- Resize Text Frame Toolbar. For accessing the Resize Text Frame toolbar.
- Smart Connection. For accessing the Smart Connection panel.
- Smart Connection Toolbar. For accessing the Smart Connection toolbar.
- [Smart Connection panel name]. The name of each Smart Connection panel that is manually created is added to the menu.
Library panel flyout menu
Smart Connection allows you to store InDesign libraries in Enterprise. It therefore adds various Smart Connection related commands to the flyout menu of the Library panel. For more information, see Working with InDesign Libraries in Smart Connection for InDesign.
When opening an article that is part of a Smart Jump story, the context menu of the text (accessed by right-clicking it) contains a submenu named Smart Jump. It contains options for using the Smart Jump functionality.
Quick Apply panel
Many Smart Connection commands are also available via InCopy's Quick Apply panel for easy access.
When performing a particular action such as save or copy, Smart Connection will bring up its own dialog box. This dialog box — referred to as a 'workflow dialog box' — allows you to set properties such as the name of the file, the location in Enterprise where it should be saved, the Workflow Status, and so on.
Figure: The dialog box for saving an article.
When viewing a layout in Layout View, various icons are used for identifying articles and images that are placed on that layout:
|Slashed pencil. Shown for an article that is checked-in.|
|Pencil. Shown for an article that is checked-out.|
|Chain. Shown for images and Layout Modules.|
Note: To see these icons, choose View > Screen Mode > Normal.
Smart Connection contains 2 features which both make use of text variables:
- Enterprise Fields. Text variables holding Enterprise specific content such as the Brand name, Publication date and so on.
- Smart Jump. Linking articles on different pages and/or on different layouts can be done by using the Smart Jump feature. Text variables are used in the automatically created Continued On... and Continued From... text elements.
The text that is inserted by each feature is enclosed by orange brackets.
Figure: Text variables that are inserted by Smart Connection appear between orange brackets. Shown here are the text variable for the name of the Jump story (A) and the text variable for the page number reference (B).
Smart Connection adds 2 new groups of preferences:
- Preferences for Smart Image
- Preferences for Smart Connection
Your user profile that has been set up in Enterprise Server for you by your administrator contains a User Color option. It is used to distinguish specific changes that have been made by you from other users (who typically have another color defined).
This color is used in the following areas:
- Sticky Notes The color is shown in front of the name of the user who created a Sticky Note or replied to a Sticky Note.
- Track Changes When tracked changes are turned on in InCopy, these changes are color-coded based on the user color.
If you want to change your user color, contact your administrator.
Smart Connection adds an additional set of keyboard shortcuts to InCopy with which you can control many Smart Connection features.
For more details, see Keyboard shortcuts for Smart Connection for InCopy.
- 10 April 2019: Updated section 'Panels' by adding that the Sticky Note panel is not available for Smart Connection CC 2017 and any other higher version of Smart Connection for Adobe CC.