Viewing and restoring file versions using Smart Connection
When saving a file in a particular format to Enterprise, a version of that file is saved. When needed, this version can be restored to make it the current version.
Saving versions is done for the following types of files:
- InDesign layouts
- InDesign layout templates
- Layout Modules
- InDesign libraries
- InCopy articles
- InCopy article templates
- Text files (plain and HTML)
- Audio files
When is a version stored?
A version of a file is stored when one of the following actions take place:
- Save Version
- Changing the Workflow Status (off by default, only when enabled by your administrator)
Number of versions available
By default, a specific number of versions are stored per file type:
|File type||Number of versions saved by default|
|Layout Module template||5|
Example: 10 versions of an article are saved: versions 1 to 10. The next time an article is saved, the oldest version (version 1) is discarded to make room for the newly saved version.
Note for system administrators: These values can be changed by configuring Enterprise Server.
About version numbers
All version numbers are presented in a “major.minor” notation.
Example: Version '1.2' means major version '1' and minor version '2'.
Each time a file is saved, either the major version number or the minor version number is increased (depending on how the system is configured).
Viewing and restoring versions
Step 1. Do one of the following:
- With a layout opened in InDesign or an article opened in InCopy, choose Smart Connection > Show Versions....
- Right-click a file in a panel and choose Show Versions... from the context menu.
The Show Versions dialog box appears, showing all available versions of the file.
Step 2. Do one of the following:
- To preview a layout or article as read-only, select a version and click View.
- To restore a file, select a version and click Restore. The selected version will now become the current version. When opening the file, the content will be that of the selected older version.