The Publication Overview Application provides a general overview of how far the production process of a print publication has progressed by showing all layouts of a publication and their Workflow Status.
This makes it possible to quickly see which areas of the publication are (nearly) completed and which areas still need work.
It also shows areas that need attention such as multiple pages that have the same page number.
Figure: The Publication Overview Application shows you a complete overview of the progress of a publication.
This article describes how to use the Publication Overview Application.
Using the Publication Overview Application on a tablet
Because Content Station and the Publication Overview Application is run as a dynamic Web page, it can be easily used on a tablet.
Accessing the Publication Overview
From the Apps menu in the toolbar, choose Publication Overview.
Figure: The Publication Overview Application is accessed through the Apps menu.
The Publication Overview Application offers the following views:
- The Publication Overview, showing all pages of the publication.
- The Full Layout View, showing a full page or spread at a time. Access this view by double-clicking a layout anywhere in the Publication Overview.
Figure: The Publication Overview.
Figure: The Full Layout view.
Using the Publication Overview page
When accessing the Publication Overview Application, the Publication Overview page is displayed. It shows all pages of the publication: pages that are created, planned or missing.
Note: Depending on the way Enterprise Server is configured, missing pages may be hidden.
For each available page, the following information is or can be shown:
- The page number
- The name of the layout
- The name of the user or user group to which the layout has been routed (requires Content Station 11.57 or higher)
- Icons that show different states:
Indicates the color of the Workflow Status that is assigned to the layout.
Indicates that the layout needs attention, for example because an update for the layout is available. Hover the mouse pointer over the flag to see the exact message as a tooltip.
The flag can have the following colors:
Identical page numbers. (Content Station 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 only)
Indicates that pages exist that have the same page number.
When colored red: indicates that Sticky Notes are added and that at least one is not set to status 'Done' or 'Rejected' (and therefore needs attention).
When colored green: indicates that Sticky Notes are added and that they are all set to status 'Done' or 'Rejected'.
Indicates that a PDF of the page is available for download. Click the icon to download the PDF.
On the page you can:
- Switch between Issues by using the Filter.
Note: Because the Publication Overview shows layouts, only Issues of type 'Print' can be selected.
- Change the size of the thumbnails by using the zoom slider.
- Open a page in Full Layout view by double-clicking the page.
- Access the context menu of a layout by right-clicking it.
- Open all Dossiers that a layout is part of in a new Browser tab by Alt+double-clicking the layout.
- Show the name of the user or user group to which the layout has been routed by choosing Show Route To info from the action menu in the top right corner. The name is shown below each layout thumbnail. (Requires Content Station 11.57 or higher.)
Figure: When choosing 'Show Route To info' from the action menu (left) the name of the user or user group to which the layout has been routed is shown in the thumbnail (right).
Using the Full Layout view
The Full Layout view allows you to view the content of the page in more detail. Access it by double-clicking a layout anywhere in the Publication Overview.
Many of the tools that are found on this page are self explanatory. Note that the zoom tools in the bottom right corner appear when moving the mouse and automatically disappear when keeping the mouse stationary.
Tip: Press Escape or the Spacebar to quickly close the Full Layout view.
Layouts can be viewed in spread view or single page view. Switching view modes is done through the menu in the top-right corner of the page.
It is also possible to view the Workflow Status of placed articles, images or spreadsheets (see below).
- 5 February 2020: Updated section 'Using the Publication Overview page' with information about the 'Show Route To info' option.