The Pro Client is one of the ways of accessing Elvis 6 through a Web browser.
It provides easy access to content that is stored in Elvis and because of its wide range of features it is perfect for both general and advanced use.
Figure: Accessing content in Elvis through the Pro Client.
This article describes how to set up the Pro client so that users can start using it. The following topics are described:
- Installation and configuration
- Required licenses
- Setting up user permissions
- Making the URL available
- Web browser compatibility
- Changing the look and feel
- Setting up download presets
- Customizing the list for sorting assets
- Configuring the default expiry date of shared assets
The Pro client is part of Elvis Server and is therefore installed as part of the Elvis Server installation.
As for any other Elvis client, users need to be given permission to use the Pro client and its features. This is done by using the tools in the Pro client as described in Controlling user permissions in Elvis 6.
For the Pro client, take note of the following:
- Use the Capability named 'Web client' to provide users access to the Pro client.
- Check the list of client features in Controlling user access to clients and client features in Elvis 6 to see which apply to the Pro client.
Distribute the following URL to users who need to use the Pro client:
<Elvis Server URL>/app
Note that this is the same URL as the one for accessing the Brand portal. When accessing the URL and entering the log-in credentials, one of two things will happen:
- For users with a Basic user license the Brand portal will appear.
- For users with a Standard or Pro user license or for Super users, the Pro client appears.
Make sure that users access the Pro client by using a Web browser with which the Pro client is compatible. For a full overview, see Supported Web browsers for the Elvis 6 Web Client.
The look and feel of the Pro client can be changed to match the style of the brand that the Pro client is used for, for example by matching it with the branding of a company, product or publication.
The following can be adjusted:
- The background image of the Sign In page
- The logo in the header
- The color of the header
- The highlight color (used for buttons, selections and various other small page items)
- The background color for thumbnails and previews of transparent images
- The 'favicon' shown in a Web browser
- The 'Feedback' and 'Help' links
Figure: The default background image of the Sign In page.
Figure: A custom background image on a customized Sign In page.
Figure: The default Branding settings.
Figure: The Branding settings adjusted to match the WoodWing brand.
Changing the background of the Sign In page
A background image is shown on the Sign In page and can be replaced by a custom image if needed.
The default image is stored in the following location:
Using a custom image
To use a custom image, replace the existing image by another image that is also named 'background.jpg'.
Tip: To create a background with an even color, create an image containing a single pixel of a certain color.
Changing the logo and colors
Changing the logo and colors is done through the Management console.
Note: Any changes made apply to the Pro client as well as the Brand portal.
Step 1. Access the Management Console by clicking your Avatar and choosing Management console from the menu.
Step 2. From the menu on the left of the page, choose Branding.
Step 3. Make your changes and click Apply.
Setting the background color for thumbnails and previews of transparent images
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.18 or higher.
The default background color for thumbnails and previews of transparent images is white. If the subject of the image is also (mostly) white, this can make it hard to distinguish the subject from the background.
To improve this, a custom background color (such as light gray) can be set for all transparent images. This can be done by setting the following option:
- File: cluster-config.properties.txt
- Option name: defaultBackground
- Value: An RGB hex triplet
- Default value: #ffffff
- Requires Elvis Server restart: yes
Changing the favicon
A favicon is an icon that is shown in various locations in a Web browser such as in tabs and for bookmarks.
Figure: The default favicon for Elvis.
The default icon can be changed to a custom icon by replacing the following image on Elvis Server:
Customizing the 'Feedback' and 'Help' links
The 'Feedback' and 'Help' commands in the Avatar menu allow users to access the WoodWing Help Center to look up product documentation or to provide feedback about Elvis to WoodWing.
Figure: The Feedback and Help commands in the Avatar menu.
By default, the following links are used:
- Feedback is linked to the Elvis 6 community using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200046016.
- Help is linked to one of the following articles, depending on which area of the Pro client is accessed:
- When the Checked-out files page is accessed, it links to Opening files for editing (file check-out and check-in) using the Pro client of Elvis 6 using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/articles/206216445.
- When the Shared Links page is accessed, it links to Sharing files with others using the Pro Client of Elvis 6 using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/articles/205272229.
- When any other area is accessed, it links to the main Elvis 6 documentation page using URL https://helpcenter.woodwing.com/hc/categories/200142445.
The Feedback and Help options can be customized in the following ways:
Note: This only applies to the Pro client, not the Management console.
- The URL can be changed to a custom URL
- The option can be removed from the menu
Step 1. Access the cluster-config.properties.txt file on one of the Elvis nodes. See Changing the Elvis 6 Server configuration for a running cluster.
Step 2. Locate or add any of the following options and add a custom URL or leave it blank to remove the option from the Pro client:
- For the Feedback option:
- For the Help option:
Example: Here, the Feedback option is removed while all Help links point to the same URL:
Step 3. Save the file.
By default, users can either download a preview of a file, download the original file, or they can create a custom download to download the file in a specific format, size and resolution.
Note: This applies to downloading files in the Pro client itself as well as downloading files that are shared through the Pro client.
To improve efficiency, Download Presets containing often used download settings can be made available to user groups and users of shared files. This way the users do not have to go through the process of creating a Custom Download each time themselves.
Each assigned Download Preset appears in the Download menu for that user.
Figure: Download Presets make it easy for users to quickly download files in a specific format, size and resolution.
Setting up Download presets is done in the Management Console. For more information, see Managing Download Presets in Elvis 6.
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.6 or higher.
When searching for assets in the Pro client, the displayed assets can be sorted by using the Sort list.
Figure: The Sort list in the Pro client.
This list contains default items to sort assets on, but can also be customized to show specific items only. For more information, see Customizing the list for sorting assets.
Info: This feature requires Elvis 6.17 or higher.
When assets are shared, they can be accessed for a limited period of time. The default time period is one month which can be manually changed when the link with which the assets are shared is created or edited.
To change this default time period, add the following option to the cluster-config.properties.txt file of Elvis Serverr and change the value to the desired number of months:
- 22 August 2018: Removed references of creating an even colored background by removing the background image.
- 22 August 2018: Renamed section 'Changing the background image of the Sign In page' to 'Changing the background of the Sign In page'.
- 22 August 2018: Updated section 'Changing the background of the Sign In page' by adding a tip for creating an even colored background.