Installing the Elvis InDesign client for Elvis Cloud
The Elvis InDesign client is a plug-in that connects Adobe InDesign or InDesign Server to Elvis Cloud. With it, you can perform the following tasks:
- Edit InDesign layouts containing links to Elvis Cloud
- Open InDesign layouts from Elvis Cloud
- Change file types of images placed in InDesign
- Place file directly from the Pro client to an InDesign layout
This article describes how to install the plug-in for the first time and how to update an existing installation.
For information about compatibility of the Elvis InDesign client with Elvis Cloud and with InDesign, see the WoodWing Compatibility Matrix.
Using the Elvis InDesign client requires that the user has the Content Manager user role assigned.
Before you start
Two versions of the installer exist: one for Elvis Cloud and one for use with Elvis DAM (the on-premise version of Elvis). Note that only one version can be installed at the same time; when one version is already installed, installing the other version will overwrite the installed version.
To install the Elvis InDesign client, follow the steps below.
Installing on a system on which it is not yet installed
Step 1. Log in to Elvis Cloud.
Step 2. From the Avatar menu, choose Install clients.
Note: This option is only visible for users with the role of Content Manager.
A download page appears on the WoodWing Help Center from where the installer can be downloaded.
Step 3. Download the installer for Windows or for Mac OS X.
Step 4. Unzip the downloaded file, run the installer and follow the instructions on screen.
Installing on a system on which it is already installed
Once the Elvis InDesign client is installed, you will be notified when a new version is available for download.
Do one of the following:
- Click Not Now to dismiss the message. It will appear the next time you log in to Elvis Cloud or when next starting InDesign.
- Click Skip Version to dismiss the message. It will not appear until a next new version is available.
- Click Download to access the download page. Download the installer, run it and follow the instructions on screen.
Components added to InDesign
After installation, the following components will have been added to InDesign:
- An "Elvis" entry to the main menu. It contains options for connecting to and working with Elvis Cloud as well as a Help option for accessing the documentation on the WoodWing Help Center.
Figure: The "Elvis" menu contains options for connecting to and working with Elvis Cloud.
- Options to the Links panel .The following entries are added for displaying in the panel:
From the panel menu, choose Panel Options...
- Elvis Path. The path of the linked file on Elvis Server.
- Elvis ID. The Elvis ID of the linked file.
- Elvis Url. The URL to the Elvis object of the linked file.
Figure: The Elvis options in the Links Panel Options dialog.
Figure: The Links panel with Elvis options shown in the Link Info pane.
- An About Elvis Plug-ins... option in the InDesign menu (on Mac OS X) or Help menu (on Windows). This will display which version of the Elvis InDesign client plug-in is installed.